January 5, 2013

Mandi is 18

Today is Mandi's 18th birthday, which means I am very old.
I mean, I think a lot about college anyway, but it's days like this that remind me that childhood is almost over.
A year from today, I'll be preparing myself to dive into my second semester of college. A year from today!
And it troubles me that I have no idea where that college will be, or what I will be preparing to do or what the home I will return to will be like.
I've prepared as much as I can. I'm constantly mulling over (not mulling, that doesn't sound frantic enough) every detail: dorm decor, money, transportation, and of course the ever-present tug-of-war between major paths. And I have most of that figured out.
But ten years from now, where will I be? Will I be a theme park designer with a UT Honors education? A Yale-educated author? Or something different entirely?
Yes, that's ten years from now, but the chilling reality is that the choice is coming very soon, and right now, it's not up to me. I have to wait for acceptance letters and weigh the options. And I can't decide anything until the interviews are over and the letter begin arriving (or, in some inevitable cases, not arriving).
I feel helpless. I feel like I should be doing something.
But I've hurried up and now I wait. Just a few more months and the doors will open. And then comes more choices, but at least I'll be able to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment